Where can I find a programmer to help implement the Google AdWords API?
Question was asked on Quora
Background: I’ve used the AdWords API since 2009 do research, build campaigns and generate reports.
Bad news: there are relatively few programmers available who have used the AdWords API extensively.
Good news is that you don’t a programmer who is an expert at the AdWords API because the programming constructs that the API uses are well known. For instance, the API uses OAuth for authentication which is very common. There are code libraries and examples in many programming languages. You can point any decent developer to https://github.com/googleads and they should be able to figure things out.
There are some things that you should be aware of if you’re going to invest in custom programming for your business.
- You should get the process for getting an API token started as soon as possible. We got ours many years ago when they just handed them out if you asked. Now day's it's more difficult. People have reported being denied them or taking months to get them approved.
- Google updates the API code every 3 months. You have to update your own code to match their update or it stops working after a while. When we first started it took a week of developer time to understand the changes, update and test the code. It doesn’t take as long anymore but you’ve still got to do it.
- Google has some limits on what you can do with the data you get from the API and some requirements. These don’t always make sense from an agency perspective but Google makes the rules. Take a look here.
Road mapping reduces your risk.
At this stage your biggest risks are:
- Doing something that Google doesn’t approve of and being dead in the water before you start.
- Needing an API feature that’s not available, and for which there are no workarounds. Again, dead in the water.
- Getting stuck in the assumption swamp. If you and your developer are not on the same page building your app will degenerate into a death march for both of you.
You can eliminate the risk with a road mapping session where discuss what you plan to build.
At the end of the road mapping session you’ll be confident that your app is technically possible and complies with Google’s requirements. You’ll have a solid set of wireframes and requirements with which to brief your developer. You’ll know exactly what the next step is and what the project is likely to cost.
Road mapping costs $450 and takes 2-3 hours, usually split over two sessions on Skype/Hangouts/Zoom etc.
Want to book a road mapping session? Email me email@example.com.
Here's how you handle authorization for multiple users of your AdWords API tool.
You run an digital marketing agency. You’re thinking about building a custom Google Ads tool using the API. Here are some of the things that trip people up.
I bumped into an unexpected problem when I chose the Ad-Minister.app domain.
Will your custom AdWords tool monitor AdWords performance? It's surprisingly difficult to work out when your monitoring system should warn your users. Read on for guidelines on alerts and notifications.
The AdWords interface is awful. You can fix this in your AdWords tool. Here are a handful of principles to guide you as you design your custom AdWords API based tool.
You’re thinking of building a custom keyword research tool using the AdWords API. Read on to see where to start and what to watch out for.
Good news is that you don’t a programmer who is an expert at the AdWords API because the programming constructs that the API uses are well known. For instance, the API uses OAuth for authentication which is very common.